Saturday, October 08, 2005

The dream

“Wake up.”

“Wake up. You shouldn’t be sleeping.”

“Wake up.”

I gazed before me as the cloudiness that misted up my vision materialized into a female image slowly moving away from me.

“Huh?” the bewildered me turned around in an effort to orientate myself. Yet, the surrounding scene baffled me further: A garden laid before me, adorned with roses, lilies, orchids and other plants. Behind me was a smoothing white fountain that tranquilized my mind, all my stress, anxiety and worries seemed to evaporate in that instant, something I have never experience in a rather long time.

I found myself asking, “Where am I?”

“Wait! Dun go.” I exclaimed as the image slowly drifted out of sight while I gave chase. I continued to run, even as the image became a speck in the far horizon, without purpose.

Unexpectedly, I fell into a deep hole. No. My world shifted, taking me into a bottomless pit. The light above me seemed unreachable. The darkness overwhelmed me, reminding me of my loneliness and despair. It seemed capable of consuming anything, including everything I treasure as well as my dreams and hopes.

Then, shouts rang out far away, yet, as if from deep within me. Louder and louder with each unbearable second.

Then, everything shifted. The deafening scream was gone, in its place was something not much better, cries and chaos of a battlefield. I fell onto my knees as an arrow buzzed past me. There were no distinct two sides of battle; everyone was just killing each other. It’s the survival of the strongest; kill or be killed. Swear and cries rent the air as weapons flew and swung. Blood flowed freely onto the blood-stained ground. Oh no! Some were advancing towards me. I threw up my hands to defend myself or was it to surrender? I could not tell as everything suddenly spun and disappeared.

Silence hung in the air as the distant light flickered wildly. I examined the new area while my blood was still pounding rowdily in the veins. A chamber? No, it’s a prison. I rushed over and gripped onto the bars, shaking it violently with all the strength I could muster. My whimpers resonated in the endless corridors that loomed before me. I am all by myself again. NO! The light! My only source of light began to weaken, as though rushing back into itself and in time disappeared into nothing. Darkness again.

-------

I came awaked with a start, sitting bolt upright, causing my chair to shift backwards suddenly and creating an annoying squeaking sound. The light blinded me momentarily, but as I recovered from it, another shock gripped me. Several faces stared at me as though I am a freak. A familiar scene greeted me – students mugging in the library. I quickly wiped the sleepy look off my face and drown myself back into the pile of tutorials.

No comments: